Call Us At City Hall: 416-392-4032

Your House

Home Energy Loan Program (HELP)

The Home Energy Loan Program (HELP) is a new financing tool offered by the City of Toronto to help you improve your home’s energy efficiency and save money. The program was developed to assist homeowners to access low interest financing to complete energy and water efficiency improvement projects.  For more information, please see this post

Green and Cool Roof Grants

Time for a new roof? Check out the Eco-Roof Incentive Program offered by the City, which provides incentives for the installation of green and cool roofs on Toronto’s residential, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings. Green roofs are eligible for $100 per square metre, cool roofs from $2 to $5 per square metre. You can also get a grant to assess the capacity of your building to support a green roof. Learn more and apply.

Live Green Toronto

You can find many energy & money saving tips at Livegreen Toronto.

Frozen Water Pipes

Toronto Water has put together a web page with tips for residents on frozen pipes.

Water Efficiency

Save water, save money and help the environment.  From around the home and in the garden to at work, Toronto Water offers programs and advice for saving water and money while helping the environment.

Visit this City webpage for more information.

Trees for Your House!!!

Trees help fight climate, clean our air and even increase property values.   The City of Toronto appreciates the importance of all this and has a strong urban forestry program.

For more information on tree programs – including a free one for the front of your house – please click here.

Online Tool for Viewing Water Use

The City of Toronto has launched MyWaterToronto, an online tool that enables customers to view their water use information from their computer or mobile device. Customers can access the tool at

To log on, customers can visit and enter their utility account information. Customers can then view their total and average water use by day, week, month or year in graph or chart format. The tool also provides the opportunity to enter additional details such as temperature and precipitation to help customers better understand why they may have used more or less water during a particular time period.

MyWaterToronto is linked to the City’s Utility Account Lookup, another online tool that customers can use to view their utility account information and details of their billings.

Automated water meters send water consumption data directly to the City several times a day.

Questions about Lead In Drinking Water

Please visit this webpage for more information.

Help for Low-Income Households

There is a new program to help those in lower income households with their electricity bill. You will need to check online at or call 1-855-831-8151 (TTY 1-800-855-1155) to find out if you qualify and find out how to apply.

Please see this important alert about a possible scam associated with this program.

Basement Flooding

Toronto’s sewers are designed for most storms, but Toronto is experiencing more severe weather events with higher rainfall levels occurring over a shorter amount of time – which can lead to flooding. The City is taking action to prevent basement flooding, but we also encourage property owners to be aware of steps they can take to protect their homes. Just like the shingles on your roof, your home’s plumbing and drainage need to be properly maintained.Basement Flooding Prevention

The City also has the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program to help property owners flood-proof their homes.

For more information, please click here.

Consider An Eco-Roof For Your Home Or Business

The summer season is just around the corner and many Toronto homeowners and businesses are looking for ways to reduce their energy bills and contribute to a greener environment. Installing an eco-roof is a project with big payoffs, and the City of Toronto offers incentives to install eco-roofs through the Eco-Roof Incentive Program. For more information, please visit this website.

Omitted and Supplementary Tax Bills

You might find this applies to you if you have done home renovations or for other reasons.  If it does, here is some helpful information on the City website.

Zoning Map

Want to know more about local zoning regulations – check out the City’s new online map of zoning regulations.

Property Taxes

The Municipal Property Tax Assessment Corporation (MPAC) mailed out new property tax assessments last fall. If you have any questions about these, please go online or call 1-866-296-6722. The mailing includes your 10 digit roll number and a special access key for online service.

Both the website and the call centre have service in other languages. Click on the box in the bottom left corner of the website to access up to 51 different translations.

There is also a helpful video on the website.

If you want to have your assessment reconsidered the deadline is April 1, 2013.  This is a firm deadline. Details on this process are included in your mailing.  You can submit your request online.

New Water Meters are coming to Ward 29

Roll out of the mandatory new Water Meter Program has commenced in Ward 29.    Every household will receive a water meter along with a separate battery-powered wireless transmitter unit to be mounted nearby.

The water meter will be located just pass your main shut-off valve.  Neptune Technology Group, under contract to the City, will perform all upgrades and installations at no charge.
You will be receiving an Appointment Notice Booklet containing installation and scheduling details.  Only after you have received this booklet can you arrange for an appointment.  The time line between receiving the booklet and scheduling an appointment is usually 2 weeks.  You should  act quickly to schedule your appointment.
Installers will require access to the inside of your home and someone 18 years of age or older must be present during the installation which should only take approximately 30 minute.

Construction Permits

If you are a homeowner or contractor planning a renovation, demolition, construction or landscaping project, you may need to apply for special permits if any part of the work takes place within the public right of way.

For details, please check the City’s website.

Zoning Regulations – Minor Variances

Small changes or exceptions to existing land use or development restrictions contained in the zoning bylaw are called minor variances, for which property owners must get consent from the City of Toronto.

You can complete the required form on-line.

The Toronto East York Committee of Adjustment holds public hearings to consider applications for minor variances, permission and consents.

Do you need a copy of your land survey?

One way that might save you money on a land survey is to contact the Toronto Building Department at 416-392-7974 for a routine disclosure of land survey search.  If a copy of your survey is located in our city records, you can obtain a copy for a fee of $65.00.  Additional costs may apply depending on size of survey.  Please see this form for more info.


100 Queen Street West,
Suite C45, Second Floor
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2
Phone: 416-392-4032
Fax: 416-392-4123